Suffolk County Landbank Corporation
What is the Suffolk County Landbank Corporation?
- The Suffolk County Landbank Corporation (SCLBC) is a non-profit entity authorized under New York State’s Land Bank Act (Article 16 of the Not-for-Profit Corporation Law), which passed in 2011. It is not a county agency, but operates in close affiliation with Suffolk County Government.
- SCLBC facilitates the remediation and re-development of tax-delinquent brownfield properties within Suffolk County.
Why was the SCLBC created?
Who operates the SCLBC?
- As of February 2013, there were 133 tax delinquent and potentially contaminated parcels within Suffolk County. These parcels covered 266 acres, and represented $28.8 million in unpaid taxes and penalties, with an annual burden to Suffolk County taxpayers of $2.1 million.
- Under the Suffolk County Tax Act, the County makes other localities whole for delinquent taxes each year, thereby guaranteeing that the tax receipts expected by the individual municipal budgets will be realized.
- The Suffolk County Tax Act further requires that no tax lien properties be sold by the County for less than the amount of the liens. By establishing this land bank, the minimum lien sales price requirement can be avoided, and the liens on environmentally compromised parcels can be sold to willing buyers.
- The SCLBC is operated by representatives from Suffolk County Government, in accordance with a Memorandum of Understanding between the two entities.
- The Board of Directors is confirmed via resolution of the Suffolk County Legislature.
SPOTLIGHT DOCUMENTSDocument(s) are not available for this tab
- Allow members of the Land Bank Board of Directors to hold an interest in any liens or propoerties acquired by the Land Bank.
- Grant compensation of any kind to members of its Board of Directors for their service.
- Acquire parcels via eminent domain.
- Acquire real property which is not either tax delinquent, tax foreclosed, vacant, abandoned, or consistent with an approved redevelopment plan.
REDEVELOPMENT EXPERIENCESKILLSOrganization SummaryThe Suffolk County Landbank Corporation (SCLBC) is a Land Bank established in 2013 to address the problem of Suffolk County, NY's tax-delinquent brownfield and superfund sites. The SCLBC works to position these properties, scattered around the County for remediation and re-use. Working in tandem with local, county, and state regulatory authorities, we match sites with responsible developers who have the the financing and expertise to bring properties to productive, tax-paying use, in line with local land use goals.General Redevelopment experienceMarket transectsSub-Urban
- RFP Documents
97 Old Quogue Rd. , Riverside, NY, 11901Old Northport Rd., Kings Park, NY, 1175461 Cabot St. , West Babylon, NY, 1170460 Dale St. , West Babylon, NY, 11704473 Ocean Ave., Central Islip, NY, 11722The Suffolk County Landbank Corporation (SCLBC) is a not-for-profit corporation, which was organized in accordance with the New York State Land Bank Act. The overall purpose of the SCLBC is ...344 Merrick Rd. , Amityville, NY, 11701134 North 8th St., Lindenhurst, NY, 11757Hedges Rd., East Patchogue , NY, 1177211 Garrison Ave., Wyandanch, NY, 11798156 Grant Ave., Islip, NY, 117518 Drayton Ave. , Bay Shore, NY, 11706415 Munsell Rd., East Patchogue, NY, 117721200 Montauk Hwy., Copiague, NY, 11726753 Long Island Ave., Deer Park, NY, 11729
Organization type   Public Primary address   100 Veterans Memorial Hwy City   Hauppauge State   New York Zip code   11788 Primary Contact   Matthew Kappell Phone   631-853-6330 Fax   --   Matthew.Kapell@suffolkcountyny.gov Website   www.suffolkcountylandbank.org